Thursday, August 21, 2008

Waiting, Waiting, and Waiting Some More

My Siesta Fiesta Journey is here.

Well, sorta.

My flight was supposed to leave Birmingham at noon. It actually left at 1:30. So, I was a little nervous about making my connecting flight. However, all nervousness was replaced with "are you kidding-ness" when I noticed that a family with 4 (yes, 4) babies and a Jack Russell terrier named CoCo were also on my flight. Now, I have 3 kids of my own, and am a former teacher. The sounds of babies/children generally do not phase me. However, all 4 of the kids cried the entire flight. And the dog, (remember, a Jack Russell - aka dog on RedBull) was cooped in a tiny crate and barked the entire flight. Plus, the plane was only a smidge bigger than my minivan. Lemme tell you. There's nothing more head killing, ear deafening, than riding on a teeny airplane with screaming kids and a barking dog. Shoot me.

Also, the rain has been a little sporadic today (THANKS, Tropical Storm, Fay!) so as we approached Houston, we were told to circle around a few times because it was too crowded to land. Somehow, we ended up over a huge body of water (I'm assuming the Gulf of Mexico) which was a little confusing because I never EVER thought that a flight from Birmingham, AL to Houston, TX would take a seaward route, and for a minute I questioned if I was even on the correct flight, and then I wondered how on earth I was going to explain to my husband that I had gotten on the wrong flight... and eventually landed in Houston. At 4:00 pm. My connecting flight took off at 4:00 pm. I sprinted like an Olympian - ok, well, not so much, but imagine... - to get to my gate only to be able to look at the plane with closed doors sitting at the gate. It was mocking me. I think it stuck its tongue out at me. I had missed the flight.

So I weighed my options.
1. Get on the next flight, which is at 9:20 pm.
2. Find another carrier and see if there was another flight to San Antonio. There was - SouthWest - at Hobby Airport - I'm at George Bush.
3. Rent a car and drive.

I checked on option 1 - and got booked on that flight.
Then I checked option 2 - tickets were $179 and I had to be at the other airport in an hour. Nope.
Then I checked on the rental car option - $155, 3 1/2 hours, rain, and Houston rush hour. Nope.

So I'm sitting. I bought a day pass into the Continental Airlines President's Club room (best $45 I've spent yet), got some fantastic dinner, bought a book, and am hanging out. My friend, Erin, is sitting at Baggage Claim at the San Antonio Airport waiting for me to get there. Bless her wonderful heart.

I'm fully expecting Beth Moore to BRING IT this weekend, because I'll confess that my mind has not been full of happy thoughts today. I need some time in the Word.

More tomorrow - peace out.


*Shannon said...

Ooh, that bites! I have never experienced this before, mostly because I have never been on a plane... God give you patience!! I hope you have an awesome time!

Meg said...

One thought....Please tell me you know where your luggage is.

Have a great trip! The river walk in San Antonio is great!

Beth Cotell said...

I hope the rest of the weekend makes up for the rough start!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Well, I sure do hope that the second half of your trip was better!

I am halfway there say a prayer for no theatrics. See you in a few, girl!

Are you staying at the Marriott? I can't remember...

Melanie said...

Bless you...I guess this is what happens when you pray for patience, right?! :) Hope you have the best weekend EVER!

Jackie Sue said...

So ya'll are too funny and stinkin fast too. Your blog made me laugh, Robyn. Kathy and I were cracking up. Erin, I am SO putting your picture on my blog. It will be titled MY NEW BFF. It was fun meeting ya'll seriously and if you come to Orlando/Winter Garden, look me up. Cya...oh and war eagle!and go Noles! When I see those teams play I'll think of ya'll!