Thursday, April 7, 2011

Perspective.



My family sponsors a child through Compassion International. His name is Nevine, he lives in Kenya, and he just turned 17 years old on Valentine's Day. We have been sponsoring him for about 5 years and have enjoyed writing him, and learning about him from Compassion and from the letters we receive from him. We love LOVE getting letters from him. It thrills my girls and absolutely makes our day when we see a Compassion envelope in the mail. Letters that are sent to the kids and letters that they send their sponsor family are screened, and translated if necessary. Nevine can write and speak English (thanks to the schooling he receives through Compassion), and the only translation that takes place is an occasional slang word or geographically specific term that I might not understand. But for the most part, his letters are all him. And I love them.

Because of the screening/translating/distance, it takes a couple of months for letters to get from him to me and visa versa. This week I received a letter from him thanking us for the Christmas money that we sent through Compassion to him. He is allowed to use the money, with direction from his family and the Compassion staff, to purchase Christmas presents for himself. This is a picture of what he wrote.



If that doesn't put life into perspective, I don't know what will.

I'm so thankful that there are organizations like Compassion that allow me to be a part of his life. I'm so proud of him and his willingness to take care of his family. What an amazing young man he's turning into.

If you would like to sponsor a child from Compassion, click the link above. It costs $38 a month and you will be a part of releasing a child from poverty in Jesus' name. There's no bigger blessing on this planet.

4 comments:

Jenilee said...

that definitely puts things in persepective. oh, the things we THINK we NEED!

Amy Taft Duke said...

Thank you for giving me focus tonight. I needed that.

kristen said...

Oh that list! Can't wait to show my girls. We love Compassion and love our little Vivi from Indonesia. Thanks for sharing!

Hands Free Mama said...

Hi Robyn! A fellow neighbor and friend told me about your blog. She said I would love it, and she was right! I amazed at how much we have in common.

I have two daughters and we sponsor a child with Compassion International. It has been life-changing. My older daughter prays we can see Pricilla one day. I wrote a blog post about her called "The Girl With The Broken Smile." You are so right about their letters putting it all into perspective.

I look forward to reading more of your words of wisdom. I can't wait to see what you gained from the Dot Mom conference. I very much wanted to go.

Hope to run into you in the neighborhood soon!