Sunday, March 2, 2008

Eyebrows?

When the Dear Lord Above created my family, he skipped eyebrows.  I can imagine the little "people assembly line" where God was painting feature after feature on each passing face when something on the TV caught his attention - just as my family passed by.  I can hear him say "shoot, those people didn't get eyebrows!" and the assembly line kept going.  I have about 3 hairs where my eyebrows should be and those are so blond that you can't see them unless you are mere inches away from my face.  My father doesn't have eyebrows.  Neither do all of his sisters.  As a matter of fact, one of my aunts had her eyebrows tattooed on!  Whoa buddy.  Neither did my grandmother.  I didn't know my great-grandmother, but I'd be willing to bet she had the same weirdness that we do.  I was noticing the other day that my middle daughter has suffered the same fate.  Eyelashes and forehead.  No buffer in-between.  It's funny to see how long it takes new friends to discover my nakedness where my eyebrows should reside.  They all of a sudden look at me and say "hey, you don't have any eyebrows!"  Duh.  Thanks for clueing me in on that one.  I hadn't noticed that before.

Anyhoo, I was getting my hair cut/hi-lighted (or as I say, putting my natural blond back into my hair) when my hairdresser, Allison, made her profound discovery about my eyebrows.  "Why don't we dye them?" she asked.  Thinking it was a waste of my $20 to pay for dye on my 3 hairs, I said "no thanks.  It won't make a difference."  But after sitting there for a while, I decided to try it.  So Allison mixed up some "medium brown" gunk and painted the naked area where my eyebrows should be.  After about 5 minutes, I looked like Charlie Chaplin.  I had 2 huge black stripes across my forehead.  So we headed back to the shampoo bowl and started to wipe away the dye.  Guess what?  You could actually see my 3 hairs!  Well, I should say I could see my 3 hairs.  I don't think anyone else would see a difference. I guess after you look in the mirror for 33 years and see the same thing, even the slightest change makes a big difference.  So now when I look in the mirror, I see an ever so slight darkening of about 6 hairs an inch above my eyeballs. Glorious.  And my husband wonders why I love going to get my hair cut so much.  It's a life changing, spiritual experience for me.  Amen. 

2 comments:

Tara said...

Loved the visual of God's people assembly line. "Shoot, those people didn't get any eyebrows" LOL!!! Hate to say it, but think of all the money you're not spending on getting the darn things waxed and the time you save on plucking. I'm just sayin...

Growin' with it said...

I found you thru Rocks in My Dryer and I think you are a fantastic writer! I laughed pretty hard at this post. You'll find my spot is quite the opposite in the world of raising kids...2 boys. So it was fun to remember the joys of being girlie! I'll be back!